Freetz for beginners¶
What do I need to create a Freetz image?¶
What should I take into consideration?¶
What’s my first Freetz-image supposed to do?¶
Why should I start with a minimal image?¶
Do I need to adjust my computer in any way to create an image?¶
You can find instructions for you computer’s settings HERE
How do I create my first minimal image¶
- Which model do I have (7141, 7270, etc.)?
- How much RAM does my model have (16, 32 oder 64 MB)?
- How big is the flash memory inside my box? (4, 8 or 16 MB)?
- Do I have a working LAN-cable? If the flashing process fails the only way to recover your box is via LAN-cable (not WLAN).
- Do I have a backup of my current settings? (Settings → System → Backup settings)
- Do I have the right recover image?. AVM FTP server → Box → x_misc → english → …recoverimage…..exe (you need Windows execute)
- Do I need how to run the recovery file? If not, this link might help Link to AVM or this Offline PDF from Router-FAQ.
- My Linux is configurated correctly and all needed packages for Freetz are installed?
- Is my current firmware supported by Freetz? ‚Supported devices and firmwares‘
- These instructions are written for those that want to modify their Fritzbox for the first time by using Freetz.
- We can not guarantee for the correctness of our instructions, nor do we take responsibility for any damages caused to your device!
- By using Freetz, the functional range of your AVM FritzBox can be expanded.
- Freetz is based on Linux and can be used on a Linux machine or run in a so-called virtual machine. As most current users don’t own a Linux machine we will concentrate on the virtual machine.
- Freetz creates a new firmware image which can be upload to the box via the offical AVM interface.
You decide which packages will be included, the number is only limited by your routers available memory.
The next step is to find out which ip is assigned to our Freetz-Linux since we need it to get access via putty in the next step. To check, type in: ifconfig. This should bring up the following text.
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55 inet addr:192.168.178.30 Bcast:192.168.178.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0 Mb) TX bytes:0 (0 Mb)
sudo apt-get update (update the package lists)sudo apt-get upgrade -d (download updates)sudo apt-get upgrade -y (install updates)
You can now shot down your Ubuntu-Linux by typing: sudo shutdown -h now.This command needs to be verified by typing in the administartor passwordfreetz.
The flashing process¶
2.) Upgrade your router to the newest firmware.3.) Have your access data at hand4.) Backup your FritzBox settings5.) Make sure you’ve set a password in the AVM-GUI. Even a simple 0000 is sufficient, otherwise you won’t be able to upload the firmware